The annual Electric Cooperative Youth Tour gives selected local area Juniors the opportunity to learn about their community, State, and Nation by meeting with and learning from their representatives in government and community leaders.
Although the Washington DC Youth Tour will not take place this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will offer this year’s participants a virtual program that will allow them to connect and learn with each other this June 18th-25th.
This virtual experience will consist of:
· Learning about electric cooperatives and the cooperative business model;
· Hearing from lawmakers on Capitol Hill and the Arkansas State Capitol;
· Hearing from Arkansas business, education, and faith leaders on the pandemic and related processes in Arkansas;
· Electing a Youth Leadership Council (YLC) representative to NRECA’s YLC program;
· Interacting with each other virtually; and
· Learning how those selected could earn a $5,000 college scholarship by planning and executing a public service project in the local community. Students will not be required to perform a project to participate in Youth Tour. Examples of projects are at the end of the document.
· To keep students engaged, gift cards will be offered each day to students who can successfully answer trivia questions regarding the content covered each day.
· Students selected for Youth Tour in 2020 are invited to participate if they wish.
We plan for this virtual experience to happen via Zoom on June 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 in two-hour time slots per day.
Each session will be recorded and shared with students who might be unable to attend a live session.
All participants are eligible to compete for Youth Leadership Council.
To qualify, applicants must be high school students in the 11th grade going into their senior year, have parents or guardians who are members of the cooperative, and fill out and submit an application.
Applications will be interviewed remotely to determine the winners. Four winners from Craighead Electric Cooperative will be selected and each will receive a $500 scholarship from Craighead Electric.
Fill out the application below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.