If you are looking for a career in a growing industry with great benefits and co-workers, Craighead Electric is the place for you. We offer a great work environment with room for growth.
Craighead Electric Cooperative is seeking a highly talented and motivated individual for the position of Substation/Relay Technician to repair/maintain substations, substation equipment, transformers, voltage regulators, reclosers and other related equipment. Training in the electrical power industry with technical background in electronics preferred. Excellent benefits package offered.
Employee Job Description
JOB TITLE: Substation/Relay Technician
DEPARTMENT: Metering and Control Systems/Substations
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Metering and Control Systems
HOURS: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM or as directed
Repairs and maintains substations and substation equipment, transformers, voltage regulators, reclosers
and other technical equipment. Records maintenance data as necessary; assists with
- Operates, tests, repairs and calibrates relay equipment.
- Troubleshoots, tests, repairs and replaces defective electronic components.
- Installs circuit breakers, relay panels and electronic devices.
- Operates switches and circuit breakers in accordance with switching clearances.
- Maintains and updates installation, inspection and maintenance records for relays and other associated equipment.
- Reads blueprints/manuals, applies knowledge in the field and notes changes or modifications.
- Assists in handling arrangements preliminary to the execution of field work, such as reviewing work order specifications, planning execution of work, seeing that materials are requisitioned and transported to project sites, arranging for clearances, de-energizing lines, operating switches or disconnects, grounding lines or equipment, and observing that protective devices are used.
- Assists in performing the operations for installing, relocating, repairing or removing distribution protective equipment and associated devices, capacitors and related equipment and supports, plus regulators with related equipment and supports.
- Assists in performing the operations for installing, relocating, repairing or removing substation communication equipment.
- Assists in maintaining transformers and associated equipment such as re-fusing cutouts, patrolling and switching lines, and performing other allied maintenance work.
- Assists in a variety of other line work operations, such as performing hot stick work, fuse and switch stick operations; making load and voltage surveys; checking condition of work truck, tools and equipment and other similar work.
- Prepares, completes or checks prescribed records and reports relating to equipment and work performed, transformer reports, service order requests, material requests and returns, and other appropriate forms as required; verifies that materials issued balance with work performed; corrects work order sheets and maps, as necessary.
- Will inspect and monitor all devices. Will document load and critical care data on a monthly basis. Will inspect all structures including grounds, glassware and lightning arrestors. Will change out and repair any devices as needed.
- Will analyze and repair substation breakers and regulators and will complete high and low voltage testing before installation.
- Will analyze and repair circuit switchers.
- Will monitor all substation power transformers. Will perform all maintenance, when needed, including bushing replacement, pressure adjustments, and oil leaks. Will perform an annual gas analysis, dielectric and PCB oil test. Will perform the installation of mobile transformers when needed.
- Will assist crews during the installation or change out of electronically controlled devices.
- Will edit and update procedures for switching order of substation ties.
- Will perform annual class on operation of substation equipment.
- Will construct and maintain substation inventory manual for Accounting/RUS.
- Will be responsible for completion of upgrades on equipment in substations.
- Will assist in the termination and completion of work for construction of new substations.
- Will be responsible for the final markups on substation “as built” drawings and wiring schematics.
- Will design and fabricate brackets, platforms, tools and stands for use in substations. (Units are built with the use of metal and the forming and pouring of concrete.)
- Will be responsible for the installation of AMR/AMI and SCADA equipment in substation.
- Will install and maintain fiber optic communications cable. Includes the testing and constructing of a baseline of test results.
- Will recommend improvements that may be made in practices, methods and procedures within the area of this job responsibility.
- Will develop an increasing understanding and support of the Cooperative and the electric program; will protect and enhance the reputation and public image of the Cooperative and its staff; will contribute in every possible way to high morale, team work and helping others obtain job satisfaction; will promote more efficient use of electricity by Cooperative consumers; will provide maximum assistance and support to supervisors and department managers.
- Will perform all other duties as assigned; will be subject to emergency call-out.
- WILL OBSERVE ALL SAFETY RULES.
- May assist safety coordinator on safety demonstrations for public service and on other special projects.
- Will maintain certification of HAZWOPER technician.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Valid driver’s license required; CDL preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor, other employees, and members in a polite and professional manner, either by phone or in person.
- Ability to work in confidential manner with CEO and Staff.
- Must be able to work eight hours a day, five days a week. Must be able to work outside of these hours when required due to scheduled maintenance, oil spills, damage repairs, etc.
- Must be able to use electrical/mechanical maintenance hand tools.
- Must be able to read and write, to include reading and interpreting blueprints, work orders and technical manuals. Must be able to apply this knowledge in the field.
- Must be able to work independently as required.
- Ability to work with generation and transmission personnel.
- Ability to use computer terminal, personal computer, and various software.
- Ability to use various electronic equipment as required.
- Ability to learn mechanical skills.
- Ability to possess knowledge of transmission lines, substation, and distribution line specifications and system operations.
- Ability to possess knowledge of substation and major feeder locations throughout electrical system.
- Ability to possess knowledge of all CECC, Federal, State and APSC safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to analyze and interpret Cooperative, RUS, EPA and APSC rules and regulations that pertain to job duties.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Training in the electrical power industry with technical background in electronics preferred.
- Experience/ training in use of computers and computer terminals.
- Additional education/work experience may be considered in lieu of education/work experience.
- Experience in meeting and dealing with people in a business setting preferred.
Must be interested in providing assistance to both members and fellow employees, promoting a positive
attitude and in succeeding.
- Ability to work with CEO, Staff, Department Supervisors and other employees involving the electrical system of the Cooperative, as well as with employees of each department, and on other projects as required.
2. Ability to work with vendors concerning electrical equipment.
Must be able to perform the essential elements of the position of Substation/Relay Technician competently, following a training period of not to exceed six months. Must possess personal characteristics which will make the employee a productive work team member, including high integrity, good personal habits and regular attendance at work. Should be friendly and able to meet people easily and adjust to different personalities. Should be able to gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Must possess manual dexterity and visual acuity, as well as the ability to listen and communicate orally, to stand and walk; to frequently sit, bend, stoop, squat, lift and carry between 75-100 pounds; to occasionally push and/or pull, reach above shoulder level, climb, balance, kneel, crouch and twist.
- Manual dexterity is required to maintain proper safety while performing maintenance work, learn safe working procedures, drive the vehicle to and from job sites; construct and/or maintain electrical equipment, move materials, manipulate work materials both bare handed and working in electrically tested rubber gloves and to complete necessary paperwork.
- Constantly uses visual acuity and sense of hearing to locate possible hazards while performing duties of position.
- Constantly stands and walks, either on the ground, while working off ladders or structures and/or in the bucket to perform maintenance.
- Frequently sits in a vehicle to drive and/or ride to various sites. The average number of miles and amount of time driving/riding would vary depending on the location of scheduled work.
- Frequently bends, stoops and squats to perform maintenance.
- Occasionally climbs and balances on a ladder.
Work is generally performed inside and outside. Work is subject to outside environmental conditions, those being both extreme heat and extreme cold at times. Work includes exposure to oils, chemicals, vibration, loud noises and other hazards relative to the construction, operation and maintenance of the Cooperative.
Applications (available below) will be taken Tuesday, May 28th through Monday, June 3rd, from 8-5 at 4314 Stadium Blvd., Jonesboro, Arkansas 72404 or email application to email@example.com.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Application for Employment
Note: Application for Employment can be completed using the free Adobe Reader
program available at https://get.adobe.com/reader/